Did you know?
- Etherow Park is Stockport's most visited outdoor site?
- This 240 acre park was the first country park in England, created from the old Compstall Mill lodges, woods and canal!
- Although the park is a joy to visit and is kept pretty tidy, there is an awful lot of work urgently needed to the infrastructure and natural areas and there are many opportunities for improving the visitor experience. Sadly the Council alone cannot care for and resource its parks to the degree that it would like to!
We are hoping that lots more people will join us in the challenge to make Etherow a fantastic place for visitors and wildlife. Here are just some of the ideas from friends and park staff of projects that we might like to tackle.
- Better information and educational facilities, including perhaps nature and history trails and leaflets.
- A much improved cafe/visitor centre facility!
- Brand new smarter toilets/rest room near the weir!
- Bird and mammal feed stations and hides, butterfly meadow and other habitats.
- A new wheelchair accessible trail from car park to weir, crossing the river!
- Managing our woods for wildlife.
So how could I help?
- Mr. Ideas and Ms. Logistics help choose the projects we'll tackle and plan them.
- Mrs. D Sissions takes on a role in the group, such as secretary or treasurer. (We need a formal group to apply for grants, for publicity etc.)
- Master Digger joins volunteers working outside on task days.
What's more, here's a chance to develop your own project skills and make a difference! There are enthusiasm and resources out there and the friends group, with your help, can tap these! Read on!
If you'd like to help improve the park in this mission, please....
- Come along to the friends meetings at the visitors centre every six weeks or so. Check the Notice Board for future events and meeting dates or ring 0161 427 6937 if there is currently no information on the forum.
- Come to workshops at which our chosen projects will be developed.
- Or come out on conservation task days in the park.
We will advertise events locally and of course at the park and will be pleased to mail details to you if you so wish. Oh.....and please tell a friend!
Please call us on 0161 430 3769 or drop in to the visitor centre at Etherow Country Park.